My Ezekiel Time

I scanned through my Bible this morning as I breathed out a prayer. I asked that He would lead me to what He wanted me to read from His Word . I decided to park my REALITY devotional guide for a while to have the Spirit a free time with me. My fingers were led to the exciting book of Ezekiel, a prophet whose name means "God strengthens", who saw God through the rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day and the radiance around it. (1;28) This is such a timely revelation for a rainy day like ours here in Quezon City. My pre-nursery daughter tried to wake up early for her first day in school, after her long vacation due to her accident, just to find out that her class was suspended. Poor excited girl.

Going back to my morning cup with Apo Dios (Abba Father), we had a swell time going through chapter 18. The Devotional Study Bible entitled it The Soul Who Sins Will Die. This reminded me of our Care group's lesson in Experiencing God about how we almost always refer our difficulties and sufferings as trials from the Lord, discounting the possibility that they are also sent for the purpose of discipline or Fatherly chastisement.

I appreciate the justice of our Holy God when He said [and Ezekiel wrote],
"For every living soul belongs to me, the father as well as the son - both alike belong to me. The soul who sins is the one who will die.

...but suppose this [wicked] son has a son who sees all the sins his father commits, and though he sees them, he does not do such things... he will not die for his father's sin; he will surely live.

...the son will not share the guilt of his father, nor will the father share the guilt of his son. The righteousness of the righteous man will be credited to him, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against him.

...But if a wicked man turns away from all the sins he has committed and keeps all my decrees and does what is just and right, he shall surely live; he will not die. NONE of his offenses will be remembered against him.

...But if a righteous man turns from his righteousness and commits sin and does the same detestable things the wicked man does, will he live? NONE of the righteous things he has done will be remembered... he will die.

...
For I take NO PLEASURE in the death of anyone [wicked or righteous turned wicked], declares the Sovereign Lord. Repent and live."
How wonderful to be reminded of God's attribute of righteousness. He is faithful to forgive and to bless life those who walk in the path of righteousness and who repents from wickedness. This is also a good warning for those who think they will be rewarded a life in eternity for the faith of their parents, siblings or forefathers. God clearly states that the soul of those who sins will die, and the souls of those who are righteous will have life. There is no big or small sin in the eyes of the Holy One, thus making us all destined for sin. Our righteousness only comes by His grace in Jesus Christ.
"Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heavens given among men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12

"For as many as received Him to them gave him the power to become the children of God." John 1:12
What a promise we have in Jesus, that in Him lies our salvation. We do not deserve it, but He gave it anyway. No one can accuse God as unjust even when a person is said to be "predisposed" unto sin for his environment. God will judge us according to the light He reveals us. The Word is the light. He will definitely judge. But, what makes Him different from what most people know about God's judgment is that He does not only judge out of wrath for sin. He judges man with love. Let us pray for the wicked men around us that they will respond to the Spirit's nudging unto repentance. God is faithful and able to forgive. He is ready to save!

1 Hearts who chimed in:

Denise said...

Awesome my friend.

Post a Comment

"But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us." 2 Corinthians 4:7
Feel free to chime in and fill up my jars of clay. Thank you for caring enough to share your blessings. I humbly accept them. Shalom!